The World in the Palm of your Hand: a live 3-D simulation of the Earth in space. Turn your phone to see the other side of the planet; give the globe a spin with the touchscreen. The night shadow travels across the globe, seasonal changes come and go, and the clouds can be made to move every few hours*.
The TerraTime Globe is built on the fly from high-resolution NASA images, rendered with your phone's 3-D hardware, and uses its position sensors to respond to your movements. The result is an engaging, astronaut's-eye view of a virtual Earth that you can hold in your hand. A static screenshot doesn't begin to do it justice; you really need to try it for yourself!
In addition to controlling your viewpoint over the planet, you also have a full range of other options:
- Specify how frequently the day/night line on the globe will refresh
- Turn on the night side, city lights, clouds, polar sea ice, sea surface, stars, sun, and moon for the full photo-realistic effect
- Or, turn all these layers off, effectively giving you a virtual classroom globe on your phone
- Orient the globe relative to either the ecliptic or terrestrial poles
- Southern-hemisphere users might like to know that they can place the South Pole on top!
- Zoom in for more detail, or zoom out from the earth to see the moon up close (as shown at left)
- Add globe widgets to your home screen, in any size you like
- Use the globe as a live wallpaper, showing its real-time simulation in the background of your device's home screen
*To conserve bandwidth, TerraTime uses a single, cached cloud image by default. If you'd like the app to download cloud imagery from current satellite photos instead, simply turn off the Work offline option in the app's Settings.